Frontend is a very significant part of software development. It has a direct impact on the final look of the app or website. It is therefore no wonder that only the best programmers are hired for Frontend Developer positions. How to prepare for a job interview? Below we present the course of such interview and most commonly asked questions.
What does the interview look like?
Frontend Developer job interview consists of several parts. One of the most crucial parts is verifying information included in the candidate’s résumé. To do this, the interviewer may ask some simple questions to check if the candidate possesses certain level of knowledge required for the position. However, it’s also worth preparing for open questions, for example you may be asked to tell something about you and your achievements.
According to recent Stack Overflow Survey Almost 33% of the programmers consider themselves to be frontend developers. It creates a huge competition and forces candidates to prove themselves with many different skills, both hard and soft. That’s the only way to compete for the best positions.
Prepare for your interview
You should start with your résumé. The information included there will be the basis of the whole interview. It’s worth to give thoughts to what information should be included there. Furthermore, you might want to brush up your knowledge of the topics mentioned in your résumé.
If you’re describing some achievement from the last job, recall all the details – it might interest your interviewer. Whereas when describing your knowledge of specific frameworks, check the documentation to quickly answer questions regarding those topics.
When you apply for a front-end developer job, what’s crucial are your hard skills, it means knowledge of programming languages, libraries and frameworks. You can expect questions verifying that knowledge. Browsing documentation right before the interview will make it easier to show examples of the solutions for problems given by the interviewer. However learning answers by memory is not the best method.
It’s far better to give your own examples related to your current job. That way it’s easier to showcase your skills and experience.
In Frontend Developer job soft skills become more and more significant. For the end user it’s not the quality of the code, but the results that count: looks, speed and how well the website, game or program operates.
Specialist in the field of frontend developing should know who they create for and what are his clients’ expectations. That way you can give them usability they need.
The recruiter may ask you to say something about yourself to verify your soft skills. It can be a question about previous job achievements, how have you learned to program, or general question about you.
Sample questions during job interview
While preparing for job interview for Frontend Developer position, it’s worth becoming familiar with sample questions, that may occur during the interview. But don’t learn them by memory, it should all be as natural as possible.
- How did you learn how to program?
- List three of your advantages
- Could you please explain a few of the techniques you’ve used when creating a website to increase its efficiency?
- What kind of projects have you been working on?
- Have you learned anything new this week?
- What it is you find the most interesting in programming?
- What is your preferred developing environment?
- How much resources can a browser take from a specific domain?
- How would you solve a misunderstanding between you and your boss or coworker?
HTML related questions
- What is doctype for?
- What are data-attributes for?
- What are the differences between <script> and <script defer>?
- Why is the srcset attribute used in the picture tag?
- What are cookies, session Storage and local Storage?
- What should you pay attention at when creating multilingual websites?
- Have you ever heard of progressive rendering?
- What are the component parts of HTML5?
- Could you explain why the CSS should be positioned between <head> and </head>, and JS right before <body>?
CSS related questions
- Explain the subject of resetting and normalization of CSS. Which option do you consider better?
- What is SVG styling?
- List pros and cons of using the CSS preprocessors?
- What are the pseudo elements for?
- How to force the browser to render a box model? How is that accomplished?
- List the advantages of writing an efficient CSS.
- What is your approach regarding the issue of styles of individual browsers?
- What do you like and dislike in CSS preprocessors you use?
- List clear techniques and choose which are the most suitable for the given context.
- Explain the differences between host objects and native objects
- How the operation interception works?
- What is prototype inheritance?
- Do you use anonymous functions? Could you give an example of their use?
- What is closure and when is it used?
- Describe language construction used for value iteration and policy iteration.
- Describe the differences between null variable and undefined variable.
- What is event delegation?
A few tips before Frontend Developer job interview
Getting acquainted with questions and preparing answers for them does not guarantee your success. It’s far better to take a more open and practical approach. First of all, the night before the interview should be calm. If you sleep well, you will focus better on tasks at hand.
Certainly, you will be asked to perform some simple tasks during the recruitment process, to showcase your skills. The questions listed above are merely a general outline of what the recruiting companies might ask you. In practice, the questions can be far more detailed and precise.
It’s also worth to show some initiative during the job interview. To show more interest in the position, ask the questions yourself. You can also present some of your projects to showcase your skillset.